The Master of Science in Biostatistics Capstone is a 50-credit degree and requires completion of the following:
- 24 credits of core curriculum courses
- 20 credits of pathway-specific courses
- 6 course credits for capstone project
- A minimum 3.0 grade in core and pathway courses
- Full-time enrollment of 10 credits per quarter is expected (summer optional).
The culminating capstone project provides you with a marketable portfolio that demonstrates competency in:
- Data analysis
- Statistical programming
- Consulting experience with non-statisticians
- Written and oral communication
- Collaborative team work
- Project management
You will work on a real-world, health data analytics challenge with a small group of students in close collaboration with a course instructor and partner organization. The capstone project includes two courses:
Project Preparation (Autumn Quarter)
The partner organization introduces students to the health data analytics challenge. Students form collaborative teams, each of which writes, presents and revises a project proposal that outlines the approach and methods the group plans to use.
Capstone Project II
Project Implementation (Winter Quarter)
Student teams implement their project proposals. At the end of the course, teams share their findings with the partner organization in oral and written form, and prepare materials for individual portfolios.