Leading biostatisticians and scholars are featured in our weekly department seminar series which covers a wide range of topics, issues and methods relevant to the field of biostatistics.
Seminars are held Thursdays from 3:30-5:00 p.m. PST. Recordings of past seminars are available on our YouTube Channel and listed on this page. Subscribe for YouTube alerts.
Check our Calendar for upcoming lectures.
Recent Session Recordings
- April 8, 2021. Presentation: Principal Directions of Mediation. Speaker: Martin Lindquist, PhD is a professor of biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Watch video
- December 10, 2020. Ross L. Prentice Endowed Lecture. Presentation: Striving for Balance: How to View Statistical Methods as Tradeoffs. Speaker: Ken Rice, PhD is a professor of biostatistics at the University of Washington and the Ross L. Prentice Endowed Professor for 2020-21. Watch video
- December 3, 2020. Presentation: Sparse Factor Decomposition Accounting for Correlated Errors Applied to Phenome-wide Analysis of Genetic Associations Speaker: Jean Morrison, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biostatistics, University of Michigan School of Public Health. Watch video.
- November 12, 2020. Norman Breslow Endowed Lecture. Presentation: Descriptive Statistics Meets Machine Learning? Speaker: Jon Wellner, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Statistics and Biostatistics, University of Washington. Watch Video.
Click this link for Speaker's slides.
- October 29, 2020. At Warp Speed: Statistics and COVID-19 Vaccine Development. Speaker: David Benkeser, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University. Watch Video
- October 15, 2020. Harmonizing Electronic Health Records from Heterogeneous Systems via Automated Translation of Medical Concepts. Speaker: Xu Shi, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biostatistics, University of Michigan School of Public Health. Watch Video
- October 1, 2020. Presentation: Seeking COVID-19 Vaccines having Worthwhile Efficacy, and the Role of Platform Trials. Speaker: Thomas R. Fleming, PhD, Professor of Biostatistics and Statistics, University of Washington. Watch video. This session was presented and recorded on October 1 as part of a joint seminar with the UW Department of Statistics. Related Article for Background: COVID-19 vaccine trials should seek worthwhile efficacy, Krause P, Fleming T, Longini I, Lancet, 396, 10253, 741-3.