Timing of electives vary from what is listed. Please discuss when to take your electives with your advisor.
Sample Timeline for MS Thesis
|STAT 512 Statistical Inference||STAT 513 Statistical Inference||BIOST 561 Computational Skills for Biostatistics 2||Select Thesis Advisor|
|BIOST 514 Biostatistics I||BIOST 515 Biostatistics II|
|Elective (optional)||Elective (optional)||Electives|
|BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics 1||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics|
|BIOST 536 Categorical Data Analysis in Epidemiology||BIOST 537 Survival Data Analysis in Epidemiology||Electives|
|BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics|
|BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting (one quarter) 3|
- BIOST 514 Biostatistics I (4 credits)
- BIOST 515 Biostatistics II (4 credits)
- BIOST 536 Categorical Data Analysis in Epidemiology (4 credits)
- BIOST 537 Survival Data Analysis in Epidemiology (4 credits)
- STAT 512 Statistical Inference (4 credits)
- STAT 513 Statistical Inference (4 credits)
- BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics (6 credits total)
- BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting (3 credits)
- BIOST 700 Master's Thesis (18 credits total)
- Minimum 6 credits from Elective List One: Methodological Emphasis
- Minimum 6 credits from Elective List Two: Biology or Public Health Emphasis
- Elective courses may be taken S/NS. To earn the grade of "S," students must achieve a 2.7 or higher.
Course recommendations and notes
- The department recommends that students register for and attend the BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics every quarter. Six quarters are required.
- In preparation for work on the thesis, students are expected to master computational skills at the level covered in BIOST 561 Computational Skills for Biostatistics. Taking this course in the first year is recommended.
- BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting is a required course and MS Thesis students typically take it at the end of Year 1 or during Year 2. Enrollment is limited to 4-6 students per quarter so advance planning is necessary. Students may email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a quarter.
- BIOST 582 Student Seminar is offered every Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarter.
- BIOST 600 Independent Study may be arranged with a faculty advisor in any quarter.
- First Year (MS) Theory Exam follows spring quarter of Year 1.
- MS Thesis completed by the end of Year 2.