The Summer Institute for Statistics in Big Data (SISBID) is designed to introduce biologists, quantitative scientists, and statisticians to modern statistical techniques for the analysis of biological big data. Ali Shojaie serves as the Director of SISBID.
The goal of SISBID is to strengthen the statistical and genetic proficiency and career preparation of scholars from all backgrounds, especially those from groups historically underrepresented in STEM such as racial and ethnic minority groups, low income, first generation college students, veterans, and differently abled and 2SLGBTQ groups.
Tentative dates: July 13-24, 2020
- Sign up for the Summer Institutes email list.
- Tentative 2020 schedule:
- Module 1: Data Wrangling, Monday, July 13- Wednesday, July 15
- Module 2: Supervised Learning, Wednesday, July 15- Friday, July 17
- Module 3: Unsupervised Learning, Monday, July 20- Wednesday, July 22
- Module 4: Data Visualization, Wednesday, July 22- Friday, July 24
- Module 5: Advanced Machine Learning, Monday, July 27 - Wednesday, July 29
- Module fees will be posted by March 1, 2020. As reference, 2019 SISBID registration rates were: General registration - $775 per 2.5-day module ($675 before June 10); Academic/government/non-profit registration - $675 per module ($575 before June 10). Fees do not include meals and participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and meals.
- Registration will open early March 2020
Each module focuses on a different aspect of Big Data such as organizing and processing data for statistical analysis, visualizing data, or the challenges surrounding reproducible research.
- The two-and-a-half day module format includes formal lectures, computing labs, and hands-on case studies. Modules run all day Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday morning OR Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday/Friday.
- Instructors are world-class faculty with expertise in all aspects of biological Big Data.
- Participants are encouraged to enroll in multiple modules to create an experience that best suits their needs. Individuals attending the institute will receive certificates of course completion in recognition of their participation.