- Follow grad program instructions – obtaining ID card, keys, employment paperwork, etc. Don't worry, we'll walk you through all of the steps!
- Meet with academic advisor – discuss research interests, possible electives, and any questions you may have.
- Review Student Advising Site – year-by-year checklists and information.
- International students:
- UW post-arrival steps: International Students Post-Arrival Next Steps
- Biost post-arrival step: We wil notify you if you need to complete this step. Due to the important of excellent verbal communication, Biostatistics requires that all students who are not native speakers of English and do not hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited English-speaking institution (MS degree doesn't qualify), must meet the requirements outlined in the UW's Memo 15: Conditions of Appointment for TAs who are not Native Speakers of English. You are expected to meet the requirement upon arrival and may do so in one of two ways: 1) Demonstrating spoken English proficiency with a test score of at least 65 on the Versant English Test (Links to an external site.) or c) Taking and passing the one-quarter course English 105 (Links to an external site.) by the end of the student's first quarter in the program.UW's.
- Orientation (half day, lunch provided) – Information about department expectations, respurces, fiscal support, and research. Concludes with a student lunch and the chance speak with current students.
- Computer Bootcamp (full day, bring lunch) – Introduction to department’s computer systems, setting up student Slack account, and posting Student Profile on the department website.
- Retreat – We are a close-knit department that looks forward to welcoming you. Our annual retreat includes student/faculty conversations, shared meal, student research poster session, and department talent show.
- Welcome Dinner – The departments of Biostatistics and Statistics hold a joint dinner for faculty and students to enjoy a relaxed and informal opportunity to socialize. Held the first Friday of autumn quarter.