- A new student placement exam may be taken to waive STAT 512 / STAT 513.
- 9 quarters of BIOST 580 (seminar) are required.
- 36 credits of BIOST 800 (dissertation) are required.
- Elective credits: 6 credits from Elective List One and 9 credits from Elective List Two.
- Students are required to take one course (3 credits) in epidemiology. This can be satisfied by taking a BIOST course that is cross-listed with Epidemiology (e.g., BIOST 516, BIOST 519, BIOST 531, BIOST 536, BIOST 537, BIOST 555). Note: a BIOST course that is cross-listed with EPI and that is listed either under Elective List 1 or 2 counts towards both the electives credit and the epidemiology requirement.
- Minimum 3.0 grade in each required course and 2.7 minimum in each elective course. Elective courses may be taken S/NS. To earn the grade of "S," students must achieve a 2.7 or higher.
Additional course recommendations
- In preparation for work on their dissertation, students are expected to master research, presentation, and computational skills at the level covered in BIOST 561, BIOST 562, and BIOST 563. Taking these courses in the first year of PhD studies is recommended.
- In preparation for advanced coursework in Statistical Theory (STAT 581, STAT 582, and STAT 583) and the PhD Statistical Theory Exam, students are expected to master Real Analysis and Measure Theory at the level covered in MATH 574, MATH 575, and STAT 559. Taking these courses in the first year of PhD studies is recommended, for students who have not previously mastered this material.
- In preparation for the PhD Applied Statistics Exam, students are expected to master data analysis at the level covered in BIOST 579. Taking this course at least once in the second year of PhD studies is recommended.
Expectations for all students
All UW Biostatistics students are expected to participate in the annual department retreat, usually held in September.
Examination and dissertation requirements
- First Year (MS) Statistical Theory Examination: nbsp;If a PhD student enrolls in STAT 512 and STAT 513, he or she must take the First Year (MS) theory examination the following summer for advisory purposes.
- PhD Statistical Theory Examination: PhD students must take and pass the PhD statistical theory examination within two years following first time completion of STAT 581, STAT 582, STAT 583.
- PhD Applied Statistics Examination: PhD students must take and pass the PhD applied examination within two years following first time completion of BIOST 570.
- Teaching Assistant: PhD students must serve as a TA for at least one quarter.
- General exam
- Final exam