From teaching college-level statistics to working as a data scientist at Microsoft, our newest alumni are off to some exciting new opportunities in the coming year.
- Future Plans: I will be starting a position this fall as a statistics teaching post-doc in the Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn.
- Dissertation: “Statistical inference in admixed populations”
- Advisor: Sharon Browning
- Recipient of the 2019 Thomas R. Fleming Excellence in Biostatistics Award
- Future Plans: Quantitative Scientist, Flatiron Health
- Dissertation: “Statistical miscellany: causality, networks, and bandits”
- Advisor: Ali Shojaie
- Future Plans: Biostatistician at Seattle Children’s Research Institute
- Dissertation: “Dimension reduction for spatially-misaligned and multi-pollutant data with missing observations”
- Advisor: Adam Szpiro
- Recipient of the 2019 SPH Outstanding PhD Student Award
- Future Plans: Postdoctoral fellow, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center with Dr. Ying Huang
- Dissertation: “A unified approach to nonparametric variable importance assessment using flexible estimation procedures”
- Advisors: Marco Carone, Noah Simon
- Recipient of the 2019 Exceptional Service in Biostatistics Award
- Future Plans: I will be working in a non-post-doc position - decision on where is not yet final
- Thesis: “Tuning parameter selection for a penalized maximum likelihood estimator of species richness”
- Advisor: Amy Willis
- Recipient of the 2019 SPH Outstanding MS Student Award
- Future Plans: I'm going to work at Microsoft as a Data Scientist.
- Dissertation: “Nonparametric and semiparametric estimation of distributional causal effect using instrumental variables”
- Advisor: Gary Chan
- Future Plans: Hoping to work in global health, development, and human rights
- Advisors: Kathleen Kerr, Lurdes Inoue
- Future Plans: Data Scientist at Snap Inc.
- Dissertation: “Statistical methods for sparse binary, count data and treatment effect heterogeneity”
- Advisor: Gary Chan
- Future Plans: Seeking full-time opportunities in industry or research institutes.
- Thesis: "Statistical Issues in Microbiome Data Analysis: Batch Effects and Multi-Omics Analysis"
- Advisor: Michael Wu