- 63 credits total required
- 3 quarters of BIOST 580 (Seminar) are required.
- 9 credits of BIOST 700 (Master's Thesis) are required.
- Elective credits: six elective credits from either Elective List One or Elective List Two, OR STAT 512 / 513: Statistical Inference
- 3 credits of BIOST 595 (MPH Practicum) are required. The MPH practicum experience must be with an organization or agency that provides planning or services relevant to public health. (See SPH Practicum Information)
- Minimum 3.0 grade in each required course and 2.7 minimum in each elective course. Elective courses may be taken S/NS. This is because, to earn the grade of "S," students must achieve a 2.7 or higher.
In order to facilitate more rapid progress through the programs of study administered by the Department of Biostatistics, the departmental faculty will consider petitions for waiving required coursework as described by the policy guidelines given below.
The overarching principles of this policy are:
Only in the most extraordinary circumstances can the above general policy be waived for an individual student, and then only if agreed by the faculty as a whole.
- That the students, through prior comparable coursework at other institutions, have acquired mastery of the overwhelming majority of material taught in the course to be waived,
- That the students will pursue more advanced coursework in the general area of the course being waived,
- That by waiving the coursework, the students will be able to make more rapid progress toward completion of the degree, and
- That any decision to grant the petition for a waiver will be formally documented by the students’ academic advisors, a committee administering a placement exam and/or the current instructors for the course, and the graduate program office for the department. Such documentation must be completed prior to the quarter that the student would normally take the waived course.
- In general, no students will be allowed a waiver of the requirements for biostatistical consulting (BIOST 590).
- In general, no students will be allowed a waiver of the requirements for 3 credits in departmental seminars.
- In general, no students will be allowed a waiver of the requirement for electives with a methodologic emphasis (Elective List One).
- In general, no students will be allowed a waiver of the requirement for electives with a biology or public health emphasis (Elective List Two).